鯛焼き [Taikayi - Not That Fishy Grilled Fish]

Wakashi_Taiyaki_1

I was looking for a sandwich maker earlier and fond on a particular model that I found online. It is available in the market for awhile but a new generation was launched just last month. The only reason I like it so much is that it comes with add-on plates such as doughnut and madeleine plates, so that I can different type of snacks for my always hungry boys.

Instead of spending whole budget on new model, I decided to use the same amount to get more plates. So, I got myself a second-hand sandwich maker which comes with three type of plates, sandwich, waffle and taiyaki plates. Then, I am buying two other types online and total cost still lower than the new model which comes with only two type of plates.

Before I received my sandwich maker, I already planning to make this 鯛焼き (read as taiyaki, direct translation will be  "grilled snapper"), one of the most popular Japanese sweets. It is pancake batter cooked in snapper fish mold, with sweetened red bean filling traditionally. My 4-yo boy helped in preparing batter, made first batch then had his taiyaki contentedly in his little comfort corner did not want to help me anymore.

Wakashi_Taiyaki_2

[Recipe adapted from Vitantonio's User Guide]
Ingredients (makes 12):
  • *150 g cake flour, sift together with baking powder
  • *1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 40 g sugar
  • 180 ml fresh milk
  • 100 g red bean filling or other filling such as cheese, custard and jam

Methods:
  1. Combine sugar and egg in a mixing bowl, mix with a whisk till sugar is dissolved. Add in milk and flour, mix till just blended. 
  2. Preheat taiyaki mold. Grease with cooking oil lightly.
  3. Fill each mold (half of fish) half-full with batter, add filling then top-up batter to make the mold as full as possible. Close the sandwich maker, and cook for 4-5 minutes or as directly on the taiyaki mold's user guide.
  4. Remove taiyaki with a skewer or chopsticks. Best serve warm with a cup of tea.

Wakashi_Taiyaki_3

Wakashi_Taiyaki_4
They came off nice and clean, none of them were sticking to the mold. For better colour tone, I cooked them a little longer.

Comments

  1. Sounds so yummy~ This summer me and my sister tried making ice cream taiyakis with a borrowed taiyaki maker. If you don't mind me asking, which company's sandwich maker are you looking at? I would like to get a multi-purpose one as well, since getting an individual machine is quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Does the taiyaki have a chewy texture instead of a pancake like texture? I love taiyaki, nowadays they make it using pancake batter and it doesn't taste like the authentic one..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ElderBerryInk,
    I just bought Vitantonio brand sandwich maker. I am not sure the same brand/model is available at where you live now, mine is Japan model (made in china) with changeable plates.
    With two growing boys constantly look for food, this is a great investment for me. If I buy whole set of plates (madeleine, tartlet, doughnut, etc...) I can make many kind of snacks and breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,
    This one is a little chewy when it is not so hot. If eating hot, crispy crust and soft inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lydia! I will give it a try! Thnx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I know the model and the URL of the website where I can buy the sandwich maker

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your sandwich maker which come with changeable plates...Thanks for letting me know the real name of the poached egg..by the way, i dont know about "Anson and Sonia", any special meaning to this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    This mould is beautiful and cute :)
    Could you please let me know where can I get this in States?? Thank you and hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To those interested in the taiyaki maker, the one I am using is only available in Japan if I am not wrong.

    Here is the link to JP yahoo shopping store offering latest model (waffle and hot sandwich premium set) with taiyaki pan (and many others) as an add-on option.

    http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/telaffy/vwh-4400-c.html

    If you are residing outside Japan, and buying electrical appliances from Japan, REMEMBER to check the power supply in your country before you buy. The max voltage of Japanese electrical appliances is 100V.

    For US readers, there is a stove version of taiyaki maker available on Amazon.com.

    ____

    Sonia,
    I saw Anson and Sonia on a wishing plate at a temple in Nara koen tot it was you, took a shot of it actually.


    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the info Lydia, I'll try my best to find it ^u^

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is cute. I love how you serve it with Japanese dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)